BY A STAFF REPORTER
The prosecution is all set to file the chargesheet in the Ghatkopar bomb blast case on April 9, even as another key conspirator in the case, Taufiq Ahmed Sheikh, is being brought to the city from Chennai this evening.
Informed sources in the crime branch said that the chargesheet, which was earlier scheduled to be submitted in the designated POTA court on March 28, have been deferred for 15 days on a prosecution plea.
Sources said that the chargesheet is against the six accused, who have been arrested so far in the terrorist attack on December 2, that includes Yunus Khwaja Sayed, who is still absconding after his mysterious escape from police custody on January 7.
The other accused in the case include Dr. Abdul Mateen, Imran Rehman Khan (Imran Vasai), Muzammil Zamil Sheikh, Zahir Ahmed Bashir Ahmed and Altaf Ismail. Imran and Altaf were deported from Dubai on an Interpol red corner notice.
It is learnt that apart from POTA, charges under sections 302, 307, 34 have been slapped against the accused involved in the blast case.
Meanwhile, the Mumbai police team, which has been camping in Chennai for the last fortnight in connection with the investigation of the case, has already left for Mumbai with Taufiq Ahmed Sheikh, who is the prime conspirator in the Ghatkopar blast. Taufiq, an alleged member of the Saudi-based Muslim Defence Force (MDF), had visited Mumbai in October 2002 along with Imran Hyderabadi, to arrange the logistics and manpower for the blasts.
He was, however, arrested in Madras, subsequent to the gunning down of Imran Hyderabadi by the AP police, before he could trigger blasts in the southern city. The Mumbai police have obtained his custody from the Madras police on a transfer warrant.
Police sources said that Taufiq is likely to be produced in court on Monday while the chargesheet against him would be clubbed along with the other accused at a later period and the trial will be conducted jointly.